2011. augusztus 12., péntek

PROGRESS IS A FUCKING LIE



Haven't written here in over a month. Sorry about that, just did not find the time. Also, my tape rips just aren't coming along, which sucks hardily, but thems the breaks.

Just went to a noise show last night, lots of fun, got trashed and am still hanging from last night. And I picked up a CD of my mate's solo project, who also sings in Karak, its called UTX, im going to write about it, its bass dirven, its messed up, its space oriented, could use some grind though. Im also gonna hit you with updates, to try and save my sorry ass. But first....


.....you know what I really fucking hate? The term progressive. I absolutley despise it, and I'm gonna try to explain why. Not only do I hate it in music and art, which I do, because it makes no sense, but also, I hate it in politics as well. The only place I think the term progressive can be used is in scientific affairs. The reason for this is because science has set goals and aims, and as it achieves more and more of those aims, the more it has progressed. The methodology and principles are constant, if the techniques and the outcomes do vary greatly. Can you say this about music? The aims and goals fo musicians, and of musical genres, music in general is not constant, it does not have a set aim that it is going towards. That would involve projecting youre ridiculous ideology or ideologies on the whole of all music ever, which is absurd. People like to use it to mean music that is a little bit more technical, or has more sounds or instruments, or riffs, or complexity than before. But that is also dumb. It's saying that music necessarilly progresses from a state of less complexity to a state of more. This is not true. Plain and simple, its flat out wrong.

Now when it comes to politics, the term progressive is again misleading. It says that political affairs, the affairs fo human socieities, are in a set pattern and they are going towards some kind of end result. It strips you of your power to act and to make your own decisions. So this is the sort of slavish mentality behind using words like this. Th erest of this post I want to dedicate to music that makes this term look ridiculous.



KRUPSKAYA

Krupskaya are a band from Stoke, England. I have had the pleasure of meeting them a bunch fo times, touring with them, having a grand old time. They are a good example of why the term progress is dumb. Many people would call this music ambient, or noise/grind, or progresisve or avant garde, or whatever. Really, its just a weird grindcore band. They play grind, they are not so much focused on using rifs as they are on atmosphere, but at the same time they have complicated rhythm structures, and plenty of noise shit as well. The songs and song titles are abotu chemical and biological warfare, oppression and death in general, its a very specific sort of feel to it, that I can't quiet put my finger on. They are a great band, but is this progress? I don't think they would like the term, anyhow.....

This is their full-length, Clouds Over Pripyat, and it is difficult tog et through, because of the complexity and millions of minutia that are in it. But its well worth it, it will fuck you right up.


This is their split with Sandokhan, who are alright, but negligible. This is some awesome work of theirs, I really, really am a fan of this recording. A little bit more accessible than their full length, also shorter, but still extremely weird and grotesque.


This is a compilation that they are on, this song in partiular kicks major ass, so I wanted to include it. Also, tons of fastcore and PV stuff on this compilation, really noisy shit as well, its a good listen. Highlights to me where the Negative Approach cover, done by AOA, and also the Yattai and American Ghost Band bits.





SHIT I JUST RIPPED

So I am also gonan give you guys some tape rips, and some CD rips of some shit. First up, here si a band called No Humans Involved, who are a super political, feminist, all girl anarchopunk band. Thier message would be what you could call progressive, but listen to the music, it is some of the most primitive shit you can find. I also really like the vocals, they are annoying as fuck, but in the best of ways. Songs are a bit long for my taste, no reason to drag this out for 2 minutes, in my opinion. Still, fun to listen to, interesting lyrics, all in danish, but english translations are provided.


And back to the beggining, at the noise shit, where I got drunk, a friend played. This is his CD of shit that sounds dangerously close to the Solar Temple, its noise, its ambient, its space, there are song titles, but no songs per say. Also a good example of how the term progress, within music, does not make any sense. Is it progressive to not have riffs? Fucking bullshit. The CD is good though, if you like drugs.


The last one is a piece of drum machine grind. A friend made it, and he can do vocals and instruments, but he cannot play drums, so he was forced. You could call this progressive grind, its metal influenced, lots fo riffs, weird things happen, blasting, programmed drums, what not. But again, its not. The guy doing it certainly wouldn't think it is, and I most definitely dont think it is. The genre of grindcore is going in a million places at the same time, how could you even make sense of the term progress?





UPDATES

The rest of this post is just shit I uploaded for the purpose of worhsipping the blast beats. I checked out the mediafire page where we upload our crap, and ti tells you how many times something was downloaded, and I must say the blastbeat crust stuff was hit the most. So, Ima give you some regular crust, but not ones you will like, I hope. Hey, you learn more that way, when you are introduced to shit that you cant handle.


So first up is our good friends from Livstid. My band Human Error released s plti with these guys, they are a ton of fun, Norwegian lads, this CD is their last three years worth of work in 7" records, and it is free. It is the more popular side of d-beat, but its great fun, and the guys are awesome people, I feel it is my duty to spread the word on these lads, even if there are no blastbeats. Tell you what though, the drummer knows how to play them, he just doesnt wanna.


And now, some noisy, fucked up, south east asian crust. The band is Skitsöfrenia, and I initially liked the CD because they sound like they are saying the same thing over and over again on each song. Turns out, they have an Anti-Cimex cover, and a Mob 47 cover on here as well. No blastbeats. Musically they are closer to the Mob, but in anyway, super hideously raw fucked up malaysian crust. Come get yours.



Sorry, the idea of progress is just bugging me. I have to write some more. The next three are also related. So 3 pieces of Japanese noise for you, and some russian d-beat.


Distress are a russian band, rightfully called the Manowar of D-Beat. They are great, this is a good CD, and it is called Progress-Regress, with a picture of a factory on the cover, spewing some filth. The recording is nice, the band is like super tight, the drummer does not play blastbeats, does not roll, he just hits them d-beats for ever and ever. Almost psychedelic in that sense. But they are also raising the same issue, of relativity, and of the stupidity of the idea of progress.



And now for the noise/grind. World is a band from Japan who no longer exist, and I got to know of them from the Melanocetus boys, particularly Mao. The best in the genre, by a long shot, and I am a man who likes his noise/grind. No riffs, just repetetive noise, some times not so repetitive, crazy fucking vocals, and blast beats, tom licks, grind up yur ass. The noise is so well done its frightening. This is an example of a man using machinery and noise like an instrument which a lot of peopkle dont do, they just kinda fuck around at high volumes. Really I cant go on how amazing this is. Ima just put this one up here, there is much more, but for starters, this will do.


This si the band with some of the 2 or 3 members from World. I think the drummer is the same here as in the previous band. The band is less noise and more grind, but still on that blissfull merging of the two genres, which I love. Thsi band sounds a shit load like Discordance Axis, and it is no surprise that I found this on the Cephalochromoscope blog. At the time I did not know of the members being similar.


The next up is a split between a Japanese and a German band, again noise/grind, again awesome, again making the term progress look empty and ridiculous. This is the Nikudorei/Anal massaker split. Very different approach to noise and grind than everything else on this post. More barbaric, more loud and screechy, but also very well done with the noise. Its incorporated right into the blastbeats and the riffage, and its well played. Very happy about all of this.


And last of all, I see I have 28 followers. That is fucking crazy, I never expected a single one. I

ams orry to those 28 folks for having waited so long with this post, but I assume you can get your sunday blastbeat worshipping done elsewhere as well, but I am very grateful for all of them for being here, although I suspect that one of them is a prostitute, since there is just a picture of a vagina, and not much description, just contact info. But still, thanks to you as well, whoever you may be.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése